Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Over There

Over There is a pretty crazy novelette.  Published in Asimov's the tale begins in a lab where a team of three conducts an experiment involving the wave function.  From there, reality splits.  And so does the story.

Never before have I read anything that changed from one column to two independent columns.  It was incredibly disorienting at first.  Several pages passed by before I realized that there wasn't a formatting error, one reality took place in one column, while the other resided in the second.  Better yet, columns ended mid-sentence sometimes!  Crazy.  I'm not quite sure if it's crazy genius or just...crazy.

The writing was overall high quality.  There were a few bits that could have been edited more, but it gets an 8/10 or so in that respect.  I would have preferred it without the swearing, there wasn't too much point to it, yet that wasn't a deal-breaker.  I'd give the writer's other work a go if I had the time.

I haven't read a whole lot of sci-fi, but Asimov's has opened up the genre a bit to me.  What I've read of it so far, including Over There, has been satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment