Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Revelations

This is another story that shares a title with something I wrote in the past.  My story was the first piece in my Fifteen serial.  This is a stand-alone short story of about 2,200 words.  It may be offensive to some Christians for it's fictional version of Jesus Christ.  I personally don't mind because it was clearly meant as speculative fiction, but others may not feel it right, which I can understand.  Anyway, it's a very good story, I think.

There are several POV characters in this story.  It's a little disorienting and uncommon in this regard, having more than two POVs in such a small word count.  I think enough was done to separate the characters, make them realistic, relatable to some, and interesting.

The setting is speculative, as I mentioned.  It's sort of an alternate history future, if that makes sense.  Let's say that some past event is changed that makes a big impact on an even in the near future.  Yes, it has to do with Jesus Christ.  I can't relate to the story quite as much because it's set in the South and I live in the Mid-Atlantic.  It's a small matter, in any case.

Plotwise, this story excelled.  A little bit could have been cut, I suppose, but overall the plot is really cool.  The excellent wording made everything progress smoothly.

This story has an original(ish) feeling and structure to it.  In all respects of style it's like a mash-up of the story types from Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine and Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine.  I thought that was really cool.  It has a sort of literary to mainstream-bent without interfering with all the great attributes of speculative fiction.  Nice job (writer) Brenda Kezar!

No comments:

Post a Comment