Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Howl's Moving Castle (Partial Analysis)

Howl's Moving Castle has been pretty good so far.  I'm about three-quarters of the way through it and nothing has been exceedingly disappointing so far.  I originally thought this was a YA novel, but by page one it was clear that it's more so MG.  That isn't a problem.  The style flows nice and reads fast, which I appreciate.  Omnicient POV was appropriate here.
 
The characters are well-developed for MG.  They could be deeper, although I think simple was a better choice in this case.  Each character has a few defining features.  None of the characters were dry or startlingly flat.
 
The settings are typically basic large-scale, with some intimated detail zoomed-in.  That is the best approach for such a wide POV, in my opinion.

Anyone who likes whimsical fantasy may want to check it out.  I give it about an 89% thus far, all things considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment