Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Next Big Thing

I'm honored to state that Mr. Hargett of Strands of Pattern tagged me in the My Next Big Thing (mine will be the next big thing right after his).  I must answer ten questions about my current WIP.  I don't really know many bloggers who actually do these tagged events, so I'm not going to tag anyone, sorry.

 

1.   What is the working title of your book?
The Lost Mountains

2.    Where did the idea come from for the book?
I chose five or so objects randomly and included them in the first scene.  After writing that, I pretty much kept adding in things off the top of my head.  My latest idea for a minor subplot was made because I wanted a character to stroke his mustache.  I started building a character and a subplot around the idea.

3.   What genre does the book fall under?
It's Epic Fantasy with a bit of Heroic Fantasy (a knight instead of an everyman protagonist).

4.   Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I don't think it would translate well into a screenplay.

5.   What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
When a band of knights hits its prime, an equal gang of evil creatures awakens with the intent to destroy all good.

6.   If you plan to publish, will your book be self-published or published traditionally?
I refuse to self-publish.  If it isn't good enough to be traditionally published by a large press, I'll just have to write another.

7.   How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I haven't finished yet, but I started it in June of 2009.

8.   What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
The Hobbit (although with an older audience)

9.   Who or What inspired you to write this book?
My cousin Zachary Shenal and my sixth grade English teacher

10.   What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
It has dragons (albeit with some twists) and a rather unique magic system.

6 comments:

  1. Epic fantasy? Dragons? Yeah, I'm sold. Although I must admit that your idea source(s) are the most unique I've encountered. Interestingly enough, your working title immediately sent my mind to "The Lost Horizon" movie. (Before your time, but worth your time if you haven't watched it.)

    Still pondering on how "albeit with some twists" might mess with my dragons. ;-)

    Best of fortunes on completing the tale. It should prove an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I forgot to mention that none of those objects are going to make it into my newer draft most likely. I can't even remember what they were. I can send you some of the original draft that I abandoned (which was only about 11,000 words and was mostly written while I was in the seventh grade) if you'd like. My current draft doesn't have enough to it to really be read. It's more of an idea than a true novel at this stage, although at some point I'll get to actually writing it.

      The twists are necessary for the plot, although I've probably stated some of the major ones in past posts. They don't breathe fire, I'll tell you that much. I can't have them frying all of my knights in one shot.

      Thanks. I hope it will be interesting enough.

      Delete
    2. My white dragons can't breathe fire, but they can out-fly every other dragon. All my white dragons are females, but not all females are whites. Dragons have general traits specific to their color: white, blue, red, brown, green and gold.

      Care to translate "at some point" into a date estimate? I'm understandably curious. :)

      Delete
    3. I see, so you went "DnD" on your dragons.

      I can't guarantee anything before September of 2014. I need to get rolling and get words down on the page without meticulously editing everything before I type it. I think I've written a bit too much flash fiction and am naturally so brief that I have to really think to make some scenes long enough for the genre.

      Delete
  2. It sounds good if it has dragons in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't all books with dragons sound good? :p

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete