Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Girl Meets Father

I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but I've decided to allow screenplays to be the subject of my literary criticisms.  Today I shall be critiquing the screenplay of the fourth episode of the coming-of-age sitcom Girl Meets World, titled "Girl Meets Father."

I like the expression "full-circle."  It's subtle, yet powerful.  "Girl Meets Father" manages to go full-circle with about four major concepts.  The circle is the strongest shape, so this episode really holds together.  I've never encountered something that does this so well before.

This episode is about character conflicts, motion, and change.  It harps on all of the story elements I enjoy: relationship plotting, character growth, natural progression.  The penultimate scene contains one of the most heart-warming character moments I've ever been exposed to.  I've you've seen most/all of Boy Meets World, it'll really make you stand up and cheer (if only inside of your head).

Like a lot of television shows, Girl Meets World usually utilizes a frame-story, in this case containing an A-plot and a B-plot.  What's unique here is how tightly the two plots are tied and how even they are in importance.  I'm a huge fan of this form of story-telling through this medium.

If you haven't watched this episode of Girl Meets World, you should.  Even if you've never watched an episode of the series, nor its parent series, I'm certain you'll find something to love here.  (Just keep in mind that the intended audience is somewhere around 12-16.)

2 comments:

  1. I grew up watching Boy meets World and it is nice to watch this series with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched almost the entire series through the power of ABC Family reruns and DVR. I don't have any kids, so I watch it with my siblings (and sometimes my parents). Or alone.

      Delete