Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Word Wars

I'm signed up to war, a heated battle of words.  Or, at least, word counts.  This is a live-blogging event, so from now until the end of Friday I will be updating this post.  (This post is doubling as my Thursday writing post.)

This blog event is hosted by Katie Doyle of Writing, Reading, and Life and Sarah Chafin of Simply Sarah.

June 11th, 2014


10:18 A.M. - My troops are preparing for war, albeit slowly.  Come 3 P.M. they should be ready to tackle some sci-fi.

12:57 P.M. - Preparations are in line.  Once the troops finish their face-painting, they will be running some last minute drills before the 3 P.M. charge.

2:56 P.M. - My soldiers are lining up in formation.  The call to march shall come momentarily.

4:32 P.M. - 577 words have been delivered to the Word Count Pool in the sky.  I took minor casualties in this first push.  Graciously, the enemies are mostly of the "military sci-fi" variety, and not the "space opera" variety.

6:30 P.M. - A band of my spies returned from a covert research mission to the library of Lockstep, by the river Karl Shroeder.  They have returned with excellent intel.  I shall use some of that knowledge and inspiration in my next assault, to begin in just a few minutes.

8:05 P.M. - The number of words in the enemy horde is steadily increasing.  As soon as I send one to the WCP, another fills in behind it.  The total casualty count stands at 1,204 after two waves and around 150 total minutes of combat.  There may be as many as nine times that many words yet breathing on the battlefield.

11:11 P.M. - The enemy ambushed me under the guard of full darkness about an hour ago.  When the fighting ceased and I set up the necessary lamplight, the death toll for the words was increased to 1,691 total.  I will post some guards and let the rest of my soldiers rest for another day of warring on the morrow.


June 12th, 2014


11:53 A.M. - A temporary ceasefire is in place until somewhere around 2 P.M.

5:00 P.M. - The enemy has retreated to higher ground.  I am beginning flanking maneuvers, but the time of assault will likely be 8:00 P.M. or later.

9:07 P.M. - I've been fending off bands of mercenary allthethings since 8 A.M. this morning.  They weren't bad until they started to keep me from striking at the words.  This day has been lost, I fear.  My men have requested the night off in order to triumph tomorrow.


June 13th, 2014


9:03 P.M. - The allthethings have finally been eradicated after two days of brutal combat.  In a couple minutes I shall start a final effort in Word Wars.

10:22 P.M. - Final count: 1,954 words.  My troops are too exhausted from the last 70 hours to continue the fight for the day.  The campaign shall continue (unofficially) over the next week or two, if not longer.

15 comments:

  1. Interesting. Hopefully all the good seats aren't taken yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing how your troops do=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I shall be periodically scoping out your position. If you see a pair of black-cloaked men brandishing stiletto knives, they're just there to spy.

      Delete
    2. I'll keep an eye out and, and tell my scouts to leave them alone... For now.

      Delete
  3. I love reading you're post. It makes me feel like looking over my shoulder while I type... just incase you decide I'm a formidable foe to extinguish... Congrats on the delivery of words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I shall attempt to stay satisfied striking this current enemy position. I have many spies out, however; a few may be keeping an eye out on your campaign.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you're sweeping through the words as easily as mowing the grass! Your troops may yet prevail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's take longer than three days, almost for sure, but they're getting there.

      Delete
  5. Good luck planning a battle around 8. That is when I am at my wisest and my typing gets faster than ever. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's 9 and I just finished doing all the things I got drug into to do today. I haven't stopped moving since 8 A.M. this morning. But best of luck in your efforts. Godspeed.

      Delete
  6. Have a better day in the trenches tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounded like an interesting activity, a shame I've chimed in a little too late!

    ReplyDelete