Monday, April 14, 2014

L is for Light and Ash

I must say, "Light and Ash" by Alan Bao has got to be one of the strangest flash fics I have ever read.  That's not to say that it's one of the worst, it's just very different.  The best way I can classify this story's quality is "moderate."

They don't teach you about this story's POV in school.  In fact, I haven't heard about it anywhere.  I guess it's the true POV is first, but the pronoun "you" is attached to one of the other characters, so really it's a blend of 1st and 2nd-person.  Has anyone else ever read a story like this?

As far as characters go, these are decent.  The main pair make great foils for one another.  This story is, I suppose, a romance at its heart.  It never hit me hard like the writer intended, but there may be personal reasons for that.  It's semi-sweet only, to me.

I like the theory behind this story's plot structure.  The conflict and tension rise until near the end when the climax hits, after which the conflict drifts in a lowish state in order to let the characters shine.  I would have really liked more tie-in between the characters and the plot, but I'll take what I can get.

The dystopian setting in this story is a smidgen too dramatic, in my opinion.  I would have liked a better build-up and background for the condition of the world in this setting.  The application of the setting is good though.

I would recommend looking at this story just to study it.  It's really unique, for better or for worst.  Learn from it if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment